Monday, February 18, 2013

Review: Born Wicked




Goodreads description:

Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.


If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.

Born Wicked book was a disappointing reading. The novel was very slow moving and the main character didn't have the spunk I desired. I have almost zero desire to read the next book. All of those variables equate to a very not impressive read.

I felt zero connection to the characters. The only one I even remotely liked was Finn. He was witty, and overall a great character. I found Paul, Cate's best friend/suitor annoying, I found Cate annoying, I found, basically, the whole town either annoying, boring, or very forgettable and like other characters I've read. Although, now that i think about it, I did like Finn's mother, although I forgot her name so... yeah...

The plot felt almost non existent to me. I won't tell you much in fear of spoiling it, but in truth there is little to spoil. Especially since the grain of plot in Born Wicked is pretty predictable.

The author tries to end on a cliff hanger that will make you buy the next one. It didn't work on me. A cliff hanger only works if you, ya' know, actually care what happens to the characters.

The only thing positive praise you will get from me about this book is the pretty cover(s). Actually, the writing is promising. Just next time the author needs to use her amazing writing skills to create a better plot and interesting characters. That is all. It is a pretty short review, but you get the gist. I do not recommend this book unless you don't mind slower paced books.

Although, now that I am going through the reviews on Goodreads, I see that it is quite popular. Hmm. So maybe you will enjoy it, but I didn't. Sorry! Maybe I just like action too much, or my expectations were to high *sigh*

2.5/5 bookcases


No comments:

Post a Comment