Saturday, February 2, 2013

Review: Obsidian

Goodreads description: Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is


Okay, I am probably like the last person on earth to read t
his book. (Maybe I am exaggerating a bit, only a tiny, tiny bit though.)  But this book was, like, the book, ( if you didn't know this yet you and I should be buddies! I had no idea either for a long time!) a year or so ago according to a lot of blogs and people! I hadn't really given it much thought until a month ago when I started seeing the raving reviews.

Well... I read it and... Wow... seriously Jennifer L Armentrout, you are absolutely amazing! I have read Halfblood by JLA, and really liked it, but Obsidian soared sooooo high! (Although I just finished reading Pure by Jennifer L Armentrout and now Obsidian has a worthy rival! My review for Pure is forthcoming...)  Anyway, this book was out-of-this-world! I especially reccomend it to book bloggers because we can all relate to the main character, who is also a book blogger! JLA does know her audience!

The first step to creating a good book is to create characters that provoke emotions. Er, I think the author scored like a 10000 out of 10 on that one! I know that isn't supposed to be possible since it is out of 10, but the characters were so awesome! From bookish Katy, Sweet Dee, dislikable Ash, to Daemon, who can make me want to burst out laughing, blush, or hit him with a large, very heavy, frying pan (and hopefully send him to the hospital)!

Oh. I am doing a post. Sorry, just to let you know I have been sitting in front of my halfway done post, with Obsidian in my hand, rereading it when I should be finishing this post. This would be a good spot to mention it is dangerously addictive! Yeah, don't start it at night or say goodbye to your chance of sleep!

The whole Alien theme is really awesome! The topic is not awkward at all, JLA explains the aliens beautifully and so well you stop thinking of them as fiction! Aliens just flow right into the story with no bumps or breaks, like they belong!

Also, this is one book that will have you laughing, a lot! One of many favorite quotes:


“Swimming was the last thing I wanted to do. Drowning him? Maybe.”

To wrap this up, I recommend you read this like, maybe, right now! I also highly recommend the author! Oh, and, thank the heavens, this is a series!

5/5 bookcases


Find Obsidian here on goodreads
Have you read this book yet? If you have tell who was your favorite character in the comments! Mine was Katy, because she loves books like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment