Saturday, April 20, 2013

Review: Bewitching Season


Bewitching Season by Marissa Doyle


In 1837 London, young daughters of viscounts pined for handsome, titled husbands, not careers. And certainly not careers in magic. At least, most of them didn’t.

Shy, studious Persephone Leland would far rather devote herself to her secret magic studies than enter society and look for a suitable husband. But right as the inevitable season for "coming out" is about to begin, Persy and her twin sister discover that their governess in magic has been kidnapped as part of a plot to gain control of the soon-to-be Queen Victoria. 


 Racing through Mayfair ballrooms and royal palaces, the sisters overcome bad millinery, shady royal spinsters, and a mysterious Irish wizard. And along the way, Persy learns that husband hunting isn’t such an odious task after all, if you can find the right quarry.
 

Bewitching Season is a 2009 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.


Wow, what a fun book! Bewitching Season had everything I was looking for when I started reading reading it; magic, witty conversations, and intriguing characters! I hope to read more by Marissa Doyle in the near future.

Well, now that I am thinking about it, this review is not going to be very long. Really, this book was incredibly well done. There is nothing worth criticizing. I mean nothing  in this book was mind boggling or anything, but nothing was flat out bad. I enjoyed every little aspect of The Bewitching Season. Especially how they added Princess Victoria in. *smiles*

The characters were charming. Mostly in a cutesy way, especially Persy's younger brother. He had me laughing through out the entire book. Persy and Pen were awesome main characters too. Persys personality was not extremely original, but still lightly unique and had me rooting for her the entire time! Pen also was a great heroine. I think, in fact, I liked her as much as I liked Persy. Which is rare. In most books I prefer one sister over the other.

Ally, the governess, was also a character I liked reading about. We got several scenes from her point of view, all of which were some of my favorites. Ally is young, chipper, and smart. I felt she played a part bigger than just the missing nanny. Also, Ally's family is a constant part in Bewitching Season. I think readers will enjoy reading about all the amazingly charming characters.

The plot and story were just plain fun. Magic, misunderstandings, and disguises filled the story with light drama. This is definitely a book to smile through! Also, the London setting is very vivid.

All in all, Bewitching Season is not to be missed. I am so glad I picked it up when I did!

4/5 bookcases

No comments:

Post a Comment