Saturday, May 11, 2013

Review: The Golden Lily


The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets—and human lives.

Sydney would love to go to college, but instead, she’s been sent into hiding at a posh boarding school in Palm Springs, California–tasked with protecting Moroi princess Jill Dragomir from assassins who want to throw the Moroi court into civil war. Formerly in disgrace, Sydney is now praised for her loyalty and obedience, and held up as the model of an exemplary Alchemist.

But the closer she grows to Jill, Eddie, and especially Adrian, the more she finds herself questioning her age–old Alchemist beliefs, her idea of family, and the sense of what it means to truly belong. Her world becomes even more complicated when magical experiments show Sydney may hold the key to prevent becoming Strigoi—the fiercest vampires, the ones who don’t die. But it’s her fear of being just that—special, magical, powerful—that scares her more than anything. Equally daunting is her new romance with Brayden, a cute, brainy guy who seems to be her match in every way. Yet, as perfect as he seems, Sydney finds herself being drawn to someone else—someone forbidden to her.

When a shocking secret threatens to tear the vampire world apart, Sydney’s loyalties are suddenly tested more than ever before. She wonders how she's supposed to strike a balance between the principles and dogmas she's been taught, and what her instincts are now telling her.

Should she trust the Alchemists—or her heart?

No words. Really.  Although, since I am writing this review, I guess I'll have to find some quickly. Wow. This book was plain amazing.

So, let's start with Sydney, shall we? I really liked her most of the time, maybe because she is without a doubt the character I am most similar to, of all the books I've ever read. Which is nice because I can understand her.

In The Golden Lily, she realizes how she has come to care for her vampire friends, even though she is an alchemist. I thought this part was done really well! On a different note, I absolutely loved all of the characters period. They are all totally unique and so darn vivid. Really, I am convinced (Or maybe just desperately hoping) that Adrian is 100% real.

Also, I remember all of the characters' names and features as clear as day which shows how much they stuck with me. I loved reading about Jill and Eddie and Adrian and Dimitri and Sonya and Angeline and Micah and Trey and... well.... I'll stop there so you don't fall asleep, if you haven't already. All the characters are memorable and the dialogue between them flowed well.

This book really keeps you on your toes. So addicting... Cool things just keep happening. I love the little plots Mead incorporates. There are so many. Tattoos, Strigoi, hunters, alchemists etc. I practically finished this book in one day! And really need the next one!

"I turned from him and walked away, refusing to look back."
-The Golden Lily, page 418, very last sentence

And after that last sentence (not telling you who "he" is, hehe.) I am impatiently waiting to buy the Indigo Spell. I mean, isn't that such a mean sentence to end with? Need. Indigo. Spell.

I love how the romances all develop slow and realisticly. Finally. I mean in Bloodlines there was really no romance at all which was so refreshing... and in The Golden Lily I just found my favorite romance of all time!

I did think Zoe, Sydney's sister, would be mentioned and seen in this one more. Apparently I was wrong. Maybe in the next book? I predict there will be some serious sister drama throughout the series. I think the first book fore shadowed that a bit.

Also, Richelle Mead is making me think Vampires exist, her writing is that convincing, awesome, and striking. The setting, explanations, characters, and plots just add to that illusion.

Overall, The Golden Lily is such an amazing sequel, unlike most second books these days! 1000000000% amazing!

5/5 bookcases



13 comments:

  1. I loved this sequel too! I seriously don't know how you can wait to read Indigo Spell. Waiting for that book was probably one of my hardest book waits to date. And now, I'm waiting for the next one...I loved all the little plots that combined together too! I found the tattoo stuff super interesting. And I'm excited to hear what you think of the next book! New follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I know!!! And, you are right, I cannot wait to read Indigo Spell!!! I mean, Richelle Mead is a genius with all these words and characters and plots at her disposal. She is such an amazing writer.
      Thanks for following :)

      Delete
  2. I know this is awful that I have not read these books, but they sound amazing! Awesome review! I love your new blog. New follower :) Actually I was your #150!!

    I would love it if you would stop by my blog and follow as well!

    Chelsey@Charming Chelsey's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to read these books! They are pretty awesome
      Thanks for being my 150th follower!

      Delete
  3. Oh, believe me. Zoe is coming back. You just wait.
    I love how the romance between Adrian and Sydney in TGL wasn't rushed, everything just in time. And Sydney's reaction to the last scene was also something Mead nailed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the romance, so good!! And what a last scene... And you're right, Mead 100% nailed it!

      Delete
  4. Yes! this book is amazing..... I loved it.

    New Bloglovin follower
    Adriana @ Reading Fictional

    ReplyDelete
  5. The slow built up of romance in the Bloodlines series is its best point. For me, at least. It's always something to love when you see it around, which is not often. Not going to spoil anything, but "The Indigo Spell". That book. That BOOK. I can't even...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Need. Indigo. Spell. :) And the romance is definitely the best part!

      Delete
  6. I love this series so freaking much! And if you loved Golden Lily you will LOVE (yes capitals) Indio Spell!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Moans* Guys! You all are making me want to read Indigo Spell so much! :)

      Delete
  7. You know, I really want there to be more of Sydney's sisters involved in the story, too. I know there was the whole mystery-secret thing between Keith and her older sister (Carla? Carly? Something like that) in book 1, but I really think they should be MORE involved, you know? But knowing Richelle Mead, she's probably going to pull something where they're sort of minor characters right now and in book 5/6, they'll be central to the plot, like Jill in VA.

    ReplyDelete