Thursday, May 16, 2013

Review: Of Poseidon




Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. 

But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .
 

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.

This is not a book I have read recently, but I was just thinking of Of Triton, the sequel which is coming out this month (*squee*) so I decided to post a quick review to get me even more excited and to tell people how awesome this book is!

The truth is I have read Of Posidon three times. The first time I read it, I gave it 2.5 stars on Goodreads. (Shocking, I know.) But, then, I read it again. And somehow changed my rating to 4.5 stars. And then I read it again. I now love, love, love this book. I don't know why I didn't like it the first time. Maybe I was just in a bad mood?

Okay, the characters. Galen is awesome, and so is Emma, Rayna, Rachel, and Toraf. What I loved most was how they all said such epicly funny things, whether they realized it or not. And, I mean, some things Syrena say are pretty humourous. Plus, all the characters are charming. Rayna and Emma both have their unique tempers, Toraf is plain laugh-out-loud funny, and Galen just kinda makes you smile. And there is sarcasm aplenty.

The plot is pretty quick but not too complicated. Although there is a major twist in the end. The good thing is that most of this book isn't too predictable. I whizzed right through without yawning or just waiting for something to happen. (At least the second and third time I read Of Poseidon.) I also loved how the story was told in both Emma and Galen's point of view.

As, I haven't read this recently I can't remember a lot. (Please tell me if I got anything mixed up in the comments!) I just remember epic dialogue, cool characters, a vivid setting, and a certain uniqueness. This book is everything I love! So, I cannot wait for Of Triton! I already have it preordered. I hope the end of May comes quick...

All in all, I loved Of Poseidon and I wrote this review to introduce people to this book or get old readers jazzed up about Of Triton! And also (guiltily admits) to show off the cover on my blog. Isn't it beautiful???

Also, It is reccomended you read Of Poseidon more than once! (See first paragraph)

4.45/5 bookcases




3 comments:

  1. Nice review! This is one I bought last year but have yet to find a chance to read it! Really need to get on it! Glad to see your excitement grew for this one! Shocked that you gave the book a second chance, I rarely do that myself! I think one time I recall doing that was with Kelley Armstrong, but then again I started with Dime Store Magic and perhaps wasn't quite ready for sexual content being 17 or 18--yeah, I guess I was a weird teen!

    Great review once again, even if you didn't say much on the story itself, I did enjoy reading how you gave the book the second chance and that the characters are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should read Of Poseidon soon :) If you do, I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I've been seeing a lot of good stuff about this book and I really want to read it, especially since I love mermaid tales and the like. I read the prequel short story and I really like the writer's style. Great review and I am really looking forward to reading it.

    Vyki @ On The Shelf

    ReplyDelete