Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Review: All Our Yesterdays


All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
Publication Date: September 3rd, 2013
Genre: YA Science Fiction
Amazon/Barnes and Noble
"You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside. 

Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was. 

All Our Yesterdays is a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice.
So. I finally finished All Our Yesterdays. And, I have to say, I am quite disappointed. All Our Yesterday’s wasn’t a bad read, but after hearing so much praise I guess I just expected more from the story. 

I actually really liked the first 30 pages or so, but then the story just went downhill. I began to feel bored, and disconnected to the characters. For example, at the beginning of the book I thought I would really like the character Finn. However, as the book progresses, I never felt like we, as the readers, got to know him any better. We got our first impression of him, and he just stayed that way. There was no real growth, although I did like getting to know “younger Finn”.

Fortunately, I liked Em/Marina. Perhaps because we share a nickname. (At school I am called “Em” not Emily.) My favorite scene in the whole book was between these two, when Em has an amazing realization that made me smile. If you have read the book you will know what I am talking about. Unfortunately, that was one of the only scenes that legitimately touched me. 

The pacing, while it was always moving, felt very repetitive. There was a lot of running, and the characters never really did anything drastic until the end. Also, Em had some problems with killing James, which is understandable... at first. Then, her hesitancy started to get annoying and had dire consequences. I kind of wanted to shake her and tell her to learn from her mistakes. Either suck it up and shoot him for the good of Earth, or have someone else perform the deed. Don’t keep falling into the same hole!

I also did not like the ending, I kind of felt like the action was moving high speed, and then BAM. The book was over. I don't know if I will read the sequel, especially since I am not sure where the story will go. I guess I can only hope it will be better than the first one. I will definitely be on the lookout for reviews.

Overall, I wish that All Our Yesterdays had been more of a hit for me. There were interesting concepts, and a couple touching moments, but I had quite a few issues. That said, if you think you would have a differing opinion, go and pick up the book! I know the majority of the blogging community worships this book and it has a 4.12 average rating on Goodreads. Just do what is best for you!

3/5 Stars
3 photo 3stars2_zps56230712.png






Thanks for reading my thoughts on All Our Yesterdays!
Happy Reading!


 Post Signature







1 comment:

  1. I gave this one a great review, because I did really like it, especially seeing the way that Marina grew into Em and how much Em wanted to save Marina, but I also completely see what you're saying. I know why it was hard for her to kill James, but I mean, it's the future of the world!

    ReplyDelete