Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Books I read on Planes and Trains

Long time, no see? Sorry for my extended absence. I was traveling for several weeks and, upon my arrival back home, was inundated with school work and ballet rehearsals (which I admittedly love.)

Never fear. During my weeks away for Spring Break and College visits, I read plenty of books. Here are the ones I read while clouds floated outside my airplane window and sheep grazed on hills by the train tracks:

1. The Death of Ivan Illych and Other Stories by Leo Tolstoy
Leo Tolstoy is surprisingly readable. His short stories were perfect for a day of traveling and I can see why Chekhov pronounced Tolstoy his favorite author. Next time maybe I will be brave and pick up War and Peace.

2. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
I did not expect to fall in love with this book. I have enjoyed all of Reid's previous works, yet this one stood out as a crowning jewel among the others. Reid tugged at my heartstrings and caused some inconvenient tears on the public train. It is a masterpiece and truly original.


3. My Oxford Year by Julie Whelan
Julie Whelan's novel undoubtedly charmed me. Still, I was never completely drawn in or invested. It felt more like a plot to a Hollywood movie than a novel. However, Whelan's personal story as to how this novel came to be is fascinating and I would not hesitate to recommend this little love story to a friend.

4. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard
At first, I was unsure. Then, by the time Rosencrantz proclaimed he didn't "believe" in England, I was howling with laughter and realized I had been enjoying the ride all along. This play, first performed at the Edinburgh Fringe, is terrifying and dark while being hilarious and clever. Bravo.


Thanks for stopping by! Let's hope I can get some reading done while not on vacation now...

No comments:

Post a Comment