Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Sarah J Maas Mini Reviews

So, a while ago I wrote this little appreciation post with mini reviews for all of the Maas books out at the time. Well, now there have been more released and I have read them all! Here's what I thought:

A Court of Wings and Ruin
Goodreads

This was an epic, fast-paced conclusion to one of my favorite trilogies. There were lots of amazing parts. However, A Court of Wings and Ruin was still my least favorite addition to the series. Why? Firstly, I felt a disconnect from Feyre and Rhysand. Secondly, I think I loved the second book (ACOMAF) way too much. ACOWAR just didn't stand a chance. What I loved about ACOMAF was how brilliantly plotted and unexpected it was. I felt like ACOWAR was a bit more predictable. And  I know this sounds like I didn't like it... but I did! There were so many iconic scenes. And I still love this world. (I actually generously rated it 5 Stars)



Tower of Dawn 
Goodreads

I LOVED THIS SO MUCH. I give this all the stars. Tower of Dawn is now a top contender for my favorite Maas book (along with QoS, ACOMAF, and HoF). This book made me love Chaol, who I used to be "meh" about. Also, Nesryn kicked butt and became one of my new faves. And I loved all the new characters in this new setting like Yrene and Sartaq. Don't even get me started on all the amazing, beautiful ships in this book! Plus, I loved all the diversity and rep in this addition. Here's my public service announcement: EVERY Maas fan should read this before the last Throne of Glass book. There is vital info for book seven. *drops mike*


A Court of Frost and Starlight 
Goodreads

Okay. I was disappointed by this book. (It's the first Maas book I've rated less than 4 stars.) ACOFAS felt unnecessary and redundant. There were parts I liked - yes - but they didn't feel critical. The fun parts could have easily been turned into simply a 100 page novella (or 50). I feel like this short 230 page novelette took me longer to read than other books by Maas that are like 700 pages. I'm ready to say goodbye to Feyre's arc/plot line and focus on other characters. I am SO excited for the spin off book/book four though. I loved the sneak peak. Although I'm not a huge Nesta fan so we'll see if I change my mind... (Mini rant: she was such a horrible sister to Feyre.)

No comments:

Post a Comment