Friday, January 4, 2013

Reveiw: Sweet Venom

Goodreads Description: Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.


Sweet Venom was a light, fun(ish) read. The characters, the dialogue, and the storyline were all just okay. Nothing Spectacular. In truth, I was a little disappointed in this book. I have read Forgive my Fins and Oh. My. Gods (by the same author, Tera Lynn Childs) and thoroughly enjoyed the witty dialogue and quirky characters of each one, and while the books weren't masterpieces or award winning, I laughed aloud countless times.

Tera Lynn Childs let me down. I am pretty sure I didn't laugh once. The characters were dull and aggravating. And the book felt more like a prequel than a starter to a series. REALLY. All that happens is that they 1) find out that there are more Greek monster hunters like Gretchen and 2) find out there is something wrong about the way the monsters are behaving.

There is literally not one conclusion to anything that is happening in this book! We are curious about WHY these things are happening and she ENDS THE BOOK!

In the goodreads description they talk about the three sisters reuniting and embracing their fate. Well, it should be more like 2 sisters. Greer is only in, like, 4 chapters plus I didn't like her.

Now, if you read the paragraphs above you are probably thinking I hated the book (thank goodness I got it for free) but I didn't hate the book exactly. Just disappointed. There were some good parts about it.

Grace was a pretty good character, although the boy she is mooning over seems one dimensional to me. I don't even get why she likes him. He is... well... I can' t think of any words to describe him. He is like a pretty stick figure. And Grace is obsessed with him.

“How could you not notice Milo?” This is literally what Grace says to Gretchen "in disbelief". I really wanted to scream at that point.

Okay, I need to focus more on the good aspects of this book. Ummm...

Oh yeah! I liked Graces adoptive brother Thane, and Nick, the guy who keeps on bothering Gretchen! Yeah, both of them had me smiling at times.

Gretchen was strong, witty, and goodhearted although I didn't agree with some of her decisions.

And I am going to read the sequel. I want to know what happens. That's good, right?

3.5/5 bookshelves

No comments:

Post a Comment