Thursday, March 7, 2013

Review: Justice- Deck of Lies Book One


Goodreads Description: A House of Cards...

When you build an entire life on a foundation of lies, it only takes one truth for the whole thing to come crashing down. I never invited the truth in. I never went searching for it. I never had any reason to suspect that the two people I loved most were dishonest with me every second of every day. 

Find on Goodreads

I made one bad decision, and in a single day my entire world changed. If I'm ever going to discover the truth about myself and my parents, I have to trace all the lies back to their source. I have to try to find the truth that they're hiding. 

The more I discover about myself, and my past, the more I realize that lies really are better than the truth. But now that I know the lies are all around me, I can't stop until I've discovered them all. I'll pull each lie away, one by one, and examine it to see what's underneath…until this house of cards crumbles into dust at my feet. 

I just hope I can survive the crash.


Wow, this book was very enjoyable. It kept me hooked, and the story didn't seem too rushed for only 146 pages. This fairly addictive, well written novel is a must read for people looking for something fresh, quick, and mysterious.

The description is not very elaborate, which is, as it turned out, a very good thing. I haven't been this surprised only 20 or so pages into the book for a while! Because of this, however, it makes it a little difficult to write this review, so if I am vague, it is just so I don't spoil anything. And it would be a shame to spoil this twisty plot!

So, Justice starts out with Rain Ramey attending her first day at ultra fancy Sloane Academy. Almost nobody is very nice for her. She has made enemies of two very popular girls, already. It doesn't help that she isn't rich. By this point I was getting a feeling in the pit of my stomach. It was good writing and characters, but the ideas just didn't seem that original, and I was kind of thinking this was a lost cause. Where could it go without just blatantly copy another plot?

But then, Rain gets in trouble with the police, after being framed by aforementioned popular girl, Carsyn. They take Rains fingerprint and analyze it. All of the sudden, her parents are in handcuffs and she is let off easy. What happened? Well, I can't tell you anything beside that! No spoilers!

The rest of the book was amazing. Pages 18 to 146 were very addicting. Filled with unique characters, and mysteries. The whole time I was questioning everyone and everything. There are definitely some lies, mysteries, and things I doubted or felt like something wasn't right! I can't wait to find out in the next book!

Rain is an awesome protagonist to root for. She has a nice voice, is realistic, and relatable. Sometimes I felt like she could be stronger though. I hope we see character growth throughout the series. River was another one of my favorite characters. He is sweet and unique, but has his own mystery behind him, actually a couple. I love how he was there for Rain whenever she needed him, though.

Carsyn, the mean, popular gurl, was very er... The word I am looking for is hateable. Although her parents are partly to blame probably. They barely deserve to be called parents. I wasn't sure about some of the characters. Owen, a boy at Sloane Academy seemed a little off to me. Is he bad or good? I know I don't trust him. Plus, he goes out with Carsyn.

Overall, I recommend this book highly. The plot is wonderful and the characters are amazing. I am addicted to the mystery and lies!

4/5 bookcases


No comments:

Post a Comment