Monday, March 4, 2013

Review: Masque of the Red Death

Goodreads Synopsis: Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population, and those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery makeup . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club--in the depths of her own despair--Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club, and Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find not just something to live for, but something to fight for--no matter what it costs her.


I was surprised how much I enjoyed Masque of the Red Death. I admit that I mostly bought this book for it's cover, and wasn't at all impressed by the synopsis. However, the writing, story, and narration were fantastic. I am eagerly anticipating the second book.

The main character, Araby, is a believable and refreshing character. She has a story behind her, and one to come. Her voice develops the story to a beautiful novel. There is a fine line between a tragic, realistic, raw narration and a plain irritatingly broody and whiny one. Thankfully, Araby, and all the characters in the story, are the first. I hope in the second book the author keeps the lines just as clear.

The disease was very interesting, unlike what I first though. It is not just another illness and cure story. There is more than that! Ohhh! I get excited just thinking about the plot in this book! It twisted and amazed me throughout the entire story! Bethany Griffins imagination is incredible.

Sometimes I thought things seemed a bit rushed a the end. It kind of took a quick turn and then ended. Needless to say, I wasn't the biggest fan if the end. However, it did make me immediately add the next book, Dance of the Red Death, to my to-read list on goodreads.

As of the love interests, Will and Elliot, I am not sure which team I am, they both have these major faults... But are still amazingly written and I liked them anyway. April, Araby's friend, is another broken character done well. She is maddeningly realistic. She hides behind a pretty dress. But she is still very strong.

Overall, I would recommend this to fans of imaginative, beautiful writing. Griffin keeps you on the edge of your seat in this gripping tale!

4/5 bookcases

P.S It is a little depressing and dark, but in a well written way, that has you glued to the pages. It adds to this book's charm, unlike other books I have read. Masque of the Red Death is a treasure of a book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment