Monday, July 30, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Popular Books That Lived Up To The Hype


Picking up a popular book with glowing goodreads reviews and a rabid fanbase is nerve-wracking. Those books seem doomed from the beginning and that's why I often would rather read a book that's lesser known or only recently released. However, some live up to the hype. These are those impressive finds: 


1) Six of Crows 
I waited forever to read Six of Crows. I was so scared! I wasn't the biggest fan of the Grisha trilogy but all my friends seemed to love SoC. However, when I finally read the duology, I was so mad at myself for waiting so long. It was absolutely amazing and now I myself am a rabid fan. 

2) Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda
I waited until this was out in paperback because I was terrified it wouldn't be for me. However, Simon Vs. was an amazingly perfect book and it even exceeded the hype. (Sadly, the movie was fun but it did not live up to the book)

3) Mistborn 
I was reluctant to start this adult fantasy series. They looked so dense! But all the glowing reviews convinced to finally give it a try and I am so glad I did. Mist born was such a clever, exciting adventure. I am ashamed to say I still need to read the second and third books though... 

 

4) Saving Francesca
So this book didn't have quite the same level of hype as the others... but I do know many, many devoted fans of Melina Marchetta. Thankfully, I adored Saving Francesca. And I'm no longer scared to read Marchetta's books now.

5) An Ember in the Ashes
Sabaa Tahir rocks. I was tentatively expecting An Ember In The Ashes to be another sub-par, over-hyped dystopian let-down. It wasn't. This series is incredible and addicting. 

6) Scythe 
I just finished this book yesterday and now I need Thunderhead! I wasn't expecting to like a series about death... but it was so good. I would definitely have never picked it up if there hadn't been sooo much hype. I'll have a review up soon. 


7) Vampire Academy 
These books have terrible covers and are about vampires (not my favorite). Yet this series has become one of my most beloved of all time. I'm glad for its enormous popularity.

8) The Book Thief 
This beautiful, heart-wrenching novel deserves all its praise. This is on my list of books that I think everyone should read. Everyone.

9) Big Little Lies
I grabbed this at the airport during a long layover. It was on the one of those "bestsellers" stands. I was hesitant - thinking it would be silly - but the book was the perfect mix of entertaining and nuanced.


Thanks for stopping by! 


No comments:

Post a Comment